The original St Edward’s School was founded as a Charity School in 1710. The vestry book for St Edward’s Church in Romford records an entry on 5th September 1710:
‘Whereas a Charity School is erecting or setting up with all possible speed to be sett up and opened in this town of Rumford… for the educating of poor children and teaching them to read & write and instructing them in the knowledge and practice of the Christian religion as professed and taught in the Church of England.
For the first eighteen years the school was accommodated in two houses, but in 1728 it moved to a new building in the Market Place in Romford, where it remained until the mid 1960’s when the primary and secondary classes separated and moved to their present sites.St Edward’s School and Sixth Form College and St Edward’s Primary School are now run independently, but they still have much in common and work very closely together. Most of the Primary School pupils transfer to St. Edward’s at 11, and they account for many of the 210 pupils who join us each September.
2010 was a significant year for both schools as we celebrated our 300th anniversary. Special events to mark this occasion took place throughout the year.